Along with being a design student, Casey works in advocacy to empower LGBTQ+ youth and supporters with creative solutions through his blogging, leadership, speaking engagements, and artwork. Casey has also worked in realms of graphic design, social media management, and even ice cream scooping! Read all about his experience here.
- Currently attending California State Polytechnic Institute of Pomona as a Freshman for a B.A. in Graphic/Communications Design and minoring in Art History.
- Graduated from duPont Manual High School with 4 years of visual arts coursework.
- Cal Poly Pomona Pride Center: Jonnie J. Owens Scholarship Award for Service to the LGBTQ Community
- Point Foundation Scholar (June 2015-June 2019)
- League Foundation Scholar (June 2015)
- Metro-Louisville PFLAG Scholar for service to the LGBTQ Community (May 2015)
- Louisville Artisan Guild Honoree (May 2015)
- 2 Regional Scholastic Art Awards (Kentucky) (January 2015)
- 1 Regional Scholastic Art Award (Kentucky) (January 2014)
- Workshop presenter (Art, Identity, & YOU) at Lifeworks LA’s 2016 Models of Pride Youth Conference at University of Southern California (Los Angeles, CA) (October 2016)
- Guest Speaker for OHANA LGBT group’s “Coming Out Week” at Lee College (Baytown, TX) (October 2016)
- Keynote Speaker and Presenter at Intel Labs’ LGBT Youth Leadership Forum (April 2016)
- TEDxCPP Speaker: Peace Within the Brush Strokes: A Talk on Growing Up Transgender (April 2016)
- Guest speaker in EWS 407: Diverse Sexual and Gender Identities class at Cal Poly Pomona on Art and LGBTQ+ Identity (April 2016 and October 2016)
- Workshop presenter (Art, Identity, & YOU) at UC Riverside’s Asterisk* Trans Conference (Riverside, CA) (February 2016)
- Presenter and merchandising artist at GLSEN’s Respect Awards in Los Angeles (October 2015)
- Workshop presenter (Art, Identity, & YOU) at Lifeworks LA’s 2015 Models of Pride Youth Conference at University of Southern California (Los Angeles, CA) (October 2015)
- Presenter and merchandising artist at GLSEN’s Respect Awards in New York City (Presented to Johnson & Johnson with Filmmaker Kimberly Reed) (June 2015)
- Workshop presenter (Art & Identity) at GLSEN Bluegrass’ 2015 Moving Forward Families and Youth Conference in Lexington, Kentucky (April 2015)
- Workshop presenter (Art & Identity) at GLSEN Cincinnati’s 2014 Youth and Educator Summit at Northern Kentucky University (October 2014)
Past Publications and Media Appearances:
Casey has written for the Huffington Post, MTV News, and Teenlife Media. He has also appeared in The Atlantic, The Advocate, Everyday Feminism, and The Courier- Journal. Read more.
Job and Project Experience:
GLSEN National Executive Board Member– May 2016- Present
Keynote Speaker and Presenter at Intel Labs’ LGBT Youth Leadership Forum- April 2016
- 45 minute keynote and Q&A session on growing up transgender and finding his way as an LGBTQ+ leader through marginalization.
- 1 hour interactive workshop presented on GSA (Gay/ Straight/ Alliance) organization and action.
TEDx Speaker- April 2016
TEDx Talk presented at TEDxCPP (Cal Poly Pomona), titled: Peace Within the Brush Strokes: A Talk on Growing up Transgender.
Safe Zone Ally Training Panelist at Cal Poly Pomona- January 2016– Present
- Serves as volunteer panelist when needed to help educate Cal Poly Pomona faculty and students about LGBTQ Identities
Diverse Design Studio Graphic Designer for the Office of Student Life & Cultural Centers at the California State Polytechnic University of Pomona- October 2015– Present
- Designs social media campaigns, posters, and marquees for various cultural centers at Cal Poly Pomona.
- Avg 10 hours per week alongside coursework as a full-time student.
Art & Identity: Lecture Series and Workshop- October 2014- Present
- 1 hour lecture on LGBTQ+ Art history and symbolism in accordance to expression of identity.
- Workshop for after the lecture to provide an application and dialogue on expression of identity in art.
- Lecture presented at: GLSEN Cincinnati’s Youth and Educator Summit (Northern KY University), GLSEN Bluegrass’ “Moving Forward” Conference (Lexington, KY), Lifeworks LA’s “Models of Pride” Conference (University of Southern California), and UC Riverside’s Asterisk* Trans Conference (Riverside, CA)
Blogger for The Huffington Post- September 2014- Present
- Published 4 Articles as a blogger for the Teen and Gay Voices sections: “If We’re All About Political Correctness, Why Do We Keep Saying ‘Transgendered'” (July 2015), “I’m a Transgender Teen and Which Bathroom I Use is None of Your Business” (January 2015), “How You Can Be a Better Ally to Transgender Teens Like Me” (October 2015), and “A Progression of Identity Through Self-Portraiture” (September 2014).
GLSEN Student Media Ambassador and National Student Council Member- July 2014- Present
- Attended GLSEN’s (Gay, Lesbian, Straight Education Network) Media summit in Los Angeles as 1 of 12 ambassadors selected across a national pool of 300+ applicants
- Leading national events through social media through creating blogs,graphics, videos, and responding to media interviews.
- Presenting at the GLSEN Respect Awards in New York City (June 2015)
- Attended GLSEN’s National Student Council Summit and leadership workshops in New York City (June 2015)
The Comfy Cow (Handcrafted Ice Cream and Dessert Shop)- June- September 2015
- Cashier/ Clerk position. Avg. 30 hours per week.
- Responsibilities: Selling ice cream, providing friendly customer service, and adhering to shop cleanliness policies.
Social Media Manager for duPont Manual High School’s Visual Arts Department- August- June 2015
- Organized social media and campaigns for student recruitment and showcasing current student achievements on a daily basis.
- Conducted outreach with local media outlets on current events and honors received by the dept.
Gay/ Straight/ Transgender Alliance Officer at duPont Manual High School- August 2013- June 2015
- Peer educator: Presenting different topics through Q&A sessions, games, and keynote presentations to students on teachers for creating safer and inclusive environments in school
- Community outreach organizer: Connected duPont GSTA for community service, fundraising, and outreach with The Louisville Aids Foundation, Voices of Kentuckiana, and the Center for Women and Children.
- Graphic designer and social media coordinator: Created GSTA logos, posters, and social media accounts to engage students through the 2014-15 school year.
GLSEN 25th Anniversary Respect Awards Merchandising Illustrator- January- June 2015
- Commissioned by the marketing team at GLSEN (The Gay, Lesbian, Straight Education Network) as the official artist for the non-profit organization’s 25th Anniversary promotion illustrations and merchandising for the 2015 Respect Awards in New York City, NY and Los Angeles, CA
- Illustration was used for Respect Awards 2015 gifts, social media campaigns, and a national mall advertisement campaign